Clifton is an incorporated town located in southwestern Fairfax County, Virginia. Incorporated by the General Assembly on March 9, 1902, Clifton is currently one of only three towns in the county, the other two being Vienna and Herndon. Clifton's history begins pre-colonially, when the area was used as hunting grounds by the local Dogue Native American tribe. Development of a village began in 1868 when a railroad depot named "Clifton Station" was constructed. Today, the southern and eastern portions of the area are heavily forested with single-family homes, while the northern area includes equestrian areas.
Fairfax County Public Schools serve Clifton. K-6 students in Clifton attend Union Mill Elementary School, while middle and high school residents are zoned to either Liberty Middle School and Centreville High School or to Robinson Secondary School.